Places To Visit And Activities
is Ireland's oldest city, with remains dating back to the Viking and Norman periods, Waterford offers the visitor a wide range of activities:
- Waterford Viking Triangle is Waterford’s Cultural and Heritage quarter. A tranquil place, characterised by narrow streets, atmospheric public spaces and an array of cultural & heritage attractions.
- Foxmount Country House is 10 min drive from the House of Waterford Crystal. Learn all about Waterford's world famous glass-making tradition-dating back to 1783.
- Spend an hour or two browsing in the shops;
- Enjoy a walking tour of the city's historic centre;
- Visit the amazing Museum of Treasures in which Waterford's most spectacular artefacts - some of the finest in Ireland - are enticingly displayed.
- Visit Waterford's two Georgian cathedrals, both designed by the same architect but with very different characters.
Tall Ships Race
In 2005 Waterford hosted the Tall Ships Race
and will do so again in 2011
Horse Riding And Pony Trekking
Stonehaven Equestrian Centre
near Waterford offers a wide variety of ponies and horses suitable for beginners and experts alike. Lake Tour Stables
near Tramore offer beach, lake, coastal and mountain trekking for all levels from beginners to advanced.
Cheekpoint, Passage East and Dunmore East
, all within easy reach, are quaint and picturesque villages with traditional pubs and restaurants. The Adventure Centre at Dunmore offers kayaking, sailing, wind-surfing and fun for all the family. The Passage East Car Ferry
will take you in a few minutes across the broad river estuary and into south-west Wexford, with its medieval castles and abbeys and coastal scenery
Day Drives From Foxmount
Using the Passage East car ferry, visit Duncannon Fort
, Dunbrody Abbey
, Tintern Abbey, Hook Head
and go on a tour of Europe's oldest working lighthouse.
Drive along Waterford's Copper Coast Road, tour Dungarvan's castle and Waterford County Museum, and return along the N25 amid breath-taking views of the Comeragh Mountains.
Visit Kilkenny, the Rock of Cashel, and Cahir Castle, then over the Vee mountain road and down into the heritage town of Lismore.
Other Nearby Attractions
, New Ross. Birthplace of President John F. Kennedy's great-grandfather Patrick Kennedy.
Other Place To Stay
The Old Presbytery
, Kinsale, Co. Cork. The Old Presbytery dates back to pre 1750 and is said to have been built by a Spanish merchant..